Friday, May 31, 2013

Delta-alpha-romeo-november*, Delta

Oddly enough, the very first minor glitch in my moving process happened today. Believe me, it really was minor, just barely blog-worthy, and it ended up being a blessing in disguise. So I guess that makes it legit in the blog-worthy department.  

So. Let me start at the beginning. 
I'm flying KLM for my journey to New York, which is part of the Delta family. 
I've flown with Delta partners a few times so far, and when the trip did NOT include Alitalia, everything was smooth and pleasant. 



Last time I flew like that, September 2012, an additional piece of luggage cost 60 euros (about 75 US dollars). Really reasonable, considering it allows for an additional checked 23-kilo suitcase. So this time, my plan was to fly to New York solo and check an additional piece of luggage, as that was the cheapest option for transporting a substantial amount of stuff (girl talking here, please understand!). 

Boy, was I wrong. My dear Delta upped their prices a smidgen this past March and now an additional checked suitcase costs 200 (!!!!!!!) euros. Yepp, 200 instead of 60 for the same thing. My credit card literally cringed when she saw that. OUCH, indeed.

For a minute there, all the excitement about what a reasonable deal I got on the airfare and how an awesome mover I was, being able to start my new life in NYC with 46 kilos of my present life with me, sadly evaporated.  

But it's Friday - no way I was going to be miserable about freaking luggage fees! Quickly, a plan got worked up. MAIL, dude! Yeah, good old snail mail operates regular traffic across the Atlantic - no shit! -  and, who would know, prices are definitely affordable. WAY more than that 200 eur ℅ Delta!

Win! I'm going to pack the semi-necessary stuff in a sturdy box and have it mailed to me as soon as I get settled in my new home. 

As my brain was working up this genial plan, it occured to me that not only will this option be easier on my wallet, it's going to be easier, period. Because it would mean I won't be dragging 2 huge heavy suitcases around Manhattan, just one (and one carry-on, but those calories don't really count, right?). 

Win!

Have an awesome weekend and don't hate the loooooooong blog post, please :)
Jules

* in case you're not familiar with the phonetic "army" alphabet, click away.

No comments:

Post a Comment