Monday, July 15, 2013

Lost & found

Oh. My. 

I previously mentioned that one of the packages with my stuff that mum sent me got lost in the mail. Remember
I didn't exactly go into the details back then, so let me just debrief you. There were two boxes, looking exactly the same and dispatched at the same time to the same address. One arrived ok, the other one was "undeliverable as addressed". WTF???!?!?! 

Since postage for each was around 70 euro (big boxes, people) and both contained personal stuff that I kind of love, losing one was frustrating. Especially since it actually arrived AT THE SAME POST OFFICE as the other, correctly delivered one. And was then dispatched away from said post office and supposedly back to Europe.

SOTD: Jace Everett - Bad Things (True Blood opening theme)

I spent one whole day and half of the next one trying to track it down, talked to a lot of people at USPS over the phone and in person and over the phone again. They were all nice, but don't get me started about their efficiency…

After a lot of effort, I just gave up, hoping that my mum's return address was in ok shape and the package would get back to Slovenia. That would mean that my stuff was not lost forever, just delayed for a couple of weeks. But that would of course also mean that mum would have to re-mail it to me and pay for postage again. 70 euros gone in vain… Not much we could do about it. 

This whole mess happened about 10 days ago. I tried a zen attitude and not think about it. But I'm no zen kind of girl. So this morning at work, I decided to check the tracking number, thinking that by now, the package would be back in Slovenia or at least somewhere in Europe. I found out that the "undeliverable as addressed" status was still on, no new info since July 5th. AT THAT EXACT MOMENT my phone rang. It was a USPS truck driver telling me he has a big parcel for me, but can't get into my building's lobby. My heart skipped a beat!!! Could that be my lost package?

IT WAS!
And I even managed to convince the driver to wait for me while I grabbed my keys and ran out of the lab towards home. 

Not a pretty, but still a happiness inducing sight.

The box was battered and bruised (despite the "Fragile" mark), but it was there. My favourite shoes! My big caffettiera! My Leprechaun! My pretty scarves! My "Beijing 2008" pillow! My Fangtasia glass! They found me!

Among all the thrill, sadly, two of my Wacky Woolies shot glasses fell victim to the battering and bruising. Only one survived. But I did pay them my respects. And now I will have to go back to Dublin and replenish my collection. It's imperative. 
Rest in peace, Wackies. 

All in all, I am a happy girl today!

May you be happy, too!
Jules




1 comment:

  1. Congrats for the found packet! Reading you, te beremo, držim pesti, da ti gre dobro. Drži se July, na začetku je težko, pol pa ne boš hotla več nazaj domov.
    E

    ReplyDelete