Saturday, August 17, 2013

When Jules(y) met Stanley*

* pretty pathetic attempt at paraphrasing a legendary love story.


I got me a bike yesterday!!!
My newest ride is a VERY cool, vintage, satin black, proudly English, 3-speed Hercules. I'm calling it Stanley. Or Stan for short.
And I am a woman in love. 

Stan.


Before buying, I did me some research via Gooogle, obviously. I left work on Friday with a list of bike shops in my hand and my mind firmly set. I was looking for either a vintage city bike or a (beach) cruiser. 

Recycle-A-Bicycle in the East Village was my first stop. And there's where Stan was. Chilling in the shop, apparently waiting just for me. 




SOTD: Queen - Don't stop me now. Like you ever could, even if you tried… ;)



It was love at first sight, although he was a bit above the price range I have originally set for. But it took me 2-minute test spin for the decision to be made. Moreover, R-a-B works for a very good cause, so justifying the splurge was a no-brainer. They actually are a non-profit that accepts donated old bikes that get perked-up in their shops so that they are mechanically flawless. All sales proceeds directly support training, educating and employing kids and adults in bike maintenance, biking as a lifestyle  and environmental awareness, which is ALWAYS a win in my book. 



Stan's ride home via the East River Greenway.
With amazing views of Queensboro bridge,
Roosevelt Island and Long Island City.


The ride home was my first bike ride in quite a long time. I admit, Gotham's crazy traffic can be quite humbling for a new pedal pusher, but the first ride from the East Village to the UES actually went smoothly. I seriously look forward to long day trips on weekends and shorter, fun & errand filled ones after work.  





Stan already has a practical basket, front and back lights, a pink bell and matching chain lock. I still need to get him a U lock for added safety (HELLO! There are way too many bikes with missing front or rear wheels around this island for my taste). And I need to get me a helmet for my OWN safety. 

Believe me, I am freaking talented when it comes to various bump-head-against-solid-surface-or-object activities, and my ample experience in the field simply calls for an effective brain protector. High cuteness factor is just an added perk :)

Ride safe.
Jules 

No comments:

Post a Comment