Monday, August 5, 2013

A very Slovenian weekend in New York

Which, by all means, started Friday around 6 pm. 
Here's a step by step recap. Trust me, it's SUPER exciting and you really shouldn't miss it!

Friday, 6 pm to 7 pm:
Instead of leaving work for a beer, I had this EPIC fight with my homeboy Ž via texts. Excessive texting is dangerous indeed, my friends. Of course, the fight was in Slovenian, so that kind went along with the theme. 

Friday, 7.30 pm to 8 pm:
Subway ride to Long Island City (Queens). Thank the heavens for air conditioned subway cars. Talk about cooling off… ;)

Friday, 8 pm onwards:
Meeting a bunch of Slovenians for a drink at this awesome speakeasy in Queens. Fantastic cocktails, bartender was a bit cranky, but nice enough. And did I mentioned the cocktails were fantastic? 

Gin and vermouth are quickly becoming my very close friends!

…zzzzzZZZZZzzzzzz…

Saturday, 8 am to 9 am:
Coffee and Skype. Good times.

Saturday, 9 am to 12 pm:
Some easy peasy work at the lab. No biggie, but unskippable. 

Saturday, 12 pm to 1 pm:
Post office. Oh yeah, the pink slip finally appeared in my mailbox meaning that a nice care package from Slovenia was waiting for me at the local USPS. This time, it ALMOST arrived smoothly. Huge improvement and, yeah, I managed to successfully retrieved the package this time.

Saturday, 1 pm to 2 pm:
Greedily opened care package. Šljivov pekmez, a vast assortment of homegrown herbal infusions, "fleur de sel" salt from my home turf, which REALLY makes food taste better, a few beloved pieces of clothing, my favourite swimming goggles AND a huge 1 kilo pack of lemon Cedevita (I am old fashioned that way and only ever choose classic old school flavors for my artificial vitamin drinks).  


That should keep me going for a while!

I LOVE YOU, MUM!!!

Saturday, 3 pm onwards:
Binge watching a White Collar marathon while downing painkillers, clutching a hot water bottle and feeling really miserable. No, this particular case of feeling miserable did NOT have anything to do with cocktails. Let's not talk about that again…

…zzzzZZZZZzzzzzz (not peaceful at all!)…

Sunday, 11 am:
Coffee and painkillers. Who would have thought? Coffee DOES help with that kind of pain. But if ever given a choice, I'd take coffee and Skype over coffee and painkillers, no discussion.

Sunday, 1 pm to 3 pm:
Work, same thing as the day before. This time, my level of enthusiasm was a few pegs lower than the previous day. No shit, Sherlock...

Sunday 3 pm to 3.15 pm:
2 (!) slices of pizza for lunch. New York's finest junk food finally found me. 

Sunday, 3.30 pm to 6 pm:
Slovenian picnic in Prospect Park. Thanks to some awesome Slovenian-Facebook-word-of-mouth, this little gathering happened. It was so cool to meet a few more awesome people, most of whom are in the arts and have been living in New York for years. Although I wasn't in the best of shapes, I had a great time and do not regret dragging my ass all the way to Brooklyn for this.

Here's to more events like this, Slovenians!

Sunday, 7 pm onwards:
Blue Jasmine and a beer with a cool coworker (not Slovenian, though - kind of spoiled the overall theme, but she's seriously cool). 

Cate Blanchett outdid herself. Woody Allen is a genious.

I loved the movie. Such a step up from the last, hugely underwhelming Allen I saw up north in freezing Tallinn last year.
Now I desperately WANT to go to San Francisco!!!

…zzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz (this time, peaceful)…


This post is really sort of weird. 
An hour-by-hour account of what I did during the weekend? Like anybody cares, right? 
All in all, it was a bumpy weekend and what I think ('cause I care, you see) made it stand out in the sea of all my NYC weekends is the fact that this one was chock full of Slovenians who managed to make a home for themselves here in New York. 

And I am seriously falling in love with the concept that I kind of am one of them, making New York my home.


Jules 







No comments:

Post a Comment