Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sunday. Slavnik.


If I don't count half a day of sunny weather last week, the weather was at it's absolute worst since I touched down in Europe: soggy fog alternated woth rain. All at unseasonably warm temps. Yuck. 
(Yeah, total opposite of all the #freezeyork and #chiberia going on in the US). 

Today, blue skies finally decided to make an appearance, so it was only natural for me to take advantage of the clear balmy day and go for a hike on a nearby "mountain", Slavnik. 

Pano view from right under the summit.
I've been a regular on the paths to Slavnik since I can remember and my love for that lump of terrain is unmeasurable. At just a little above 1000 m (roughly 3000 ft), it barely fulfills the criterion for being called a mountain. And it's a pleasant and easy hike. Bonus: the apple strudel they bake at the hut at the summit is to die for. 

There...
(on the way up)

... And back again
(on the way down)

As usual, I took the steep path up and the gentle, curvy one down. On the way up, the real extent of my outofshapeness showed itself in all of it's glory, since I had to stop to catch my breath more often than I originally planned to. And don't get me started on the humiliation of getting surpassed by 60+ year old poppas with beer bellies. Mental note: move that ass more and get back into shape!!!

But it was worth it. 
I returned home happy, refreshed and just a bit tired, my cheeks finally gently sunkissed (although I did wear SPF, duh!). 

SOTD: Mumford and Sons - Lover of the Light.


It was the most perfect kind of giddy tired only a hefty dose of fresh air and a gentle hike can make you. 

Here's to the outdoors. 
Jules 

P.S. This year's version of winter on this side of the Atlantic:
primroses in bloom on Jan 12th at 1000 m above sea level.


No comments:

Post a Comment