Friday, September 13, 2013

A scent of sense

I've always deemed the sense of scent a very important one. 
I associate the scents I smell with memories, dreams and beauty. 

And nastiness, too - especially on a humid garbage day in the streets of Manhattan, but that's a totally different story and we shall not speak of it here and now.

Source.

Back to the romantic notions.
Scent.
Yes. Right.

I'm the kind of person who needs scented candles and who filled her closet with satchels of lavender before filling it with clothes. The kind of person that boils orange peels and cinnamon sticks for hours. I'm someone who realizes she's getting over the boy she loved the minute she starts forgetting how he smells. The kind of person who does not leave the house without a spritz of perfume. To be honest, I wear perfume even when I don't leave the house. 

Because I associate the scents I smell with beauty. Even on myself. And because a very nice fragrance is one of those luxuries that I can actually afford to splurge on. 

A change of seasons (I am quite ready for the fall at the moment) also means a change of fragrance. And since I finished my previous colder-months staple, Lola, a perfume shopping trip was in order. Lola EdP is one of my all-time favourites and I am pretty convinced a fresh bottle will be gracing my apartment very soon. It is a heavy, but graceful, sort of vampy, and ladylike. I love it. I got my first bottle in Paris a few years ago and, yes, the scent will always remind me of Paris. Nevermind the fact that Marc Jacobs is quintessentially New York, my Lola is a Parisienne.

Another perk is that it kind of drives a few people I know crazy. In a good way.

Source.


But I was craving something new and different - since my life is all new and different at this point.

I had my eyes on this baby for a while now.    
I hadn't tried it before, but the whole "pheromone-emulating" idea was just too intriguing not to give it a shot. When Molecule 01, the first of the range, was first launched, it caused serious buzz. Now, there's a whole range of these concoctions, all of them based on one single aromatic chemical. 
A non-scent scent that is supposed to smell like you, but better? Seriously?
Yeah, yeah, sounds halfway too good to actually work, and halfway creepy as in Patrick Suskind's sort of creepy. 

So I looked it up online and checked where in New York it is sold. Yay Bergdorf Goodman!
I finally went there last Monday, when the weather was lovely and autumnly crisp enough to make my summer perfume smell out of place. It took me a while to navigate the HUGE beauty department at BG, but it was worth it. 

Of the three I tried, I fell in love with Escentric 01 immediately. There are a few others in the line, but 01 was my favourite. To me, it smelled like september rain, fresh grass, burja, and fruit. Lots of fruit. Nothing annoying or edible or whatever association fruity scents usually give me. Just good. 
On the way home I couldn't stop sniffing my wrist. And it just kept getting better and better. 
Honestly, the crisp notes it produces on me are a huge departure from what I would usually wear this time of year, but boy do I love this scent.

I've been wearing it for the past few days and still haven't gotten my nose saturated with it. It is weird. The scent itself comes and goes... It's half past seven pm now, I've worn this dose of Escentric for about 12 hours now, and it's still there. And it smells exactly as it did in the first hour.

It makes me smell so hot even I would do me. Or something.
Wow.
Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment