Thursday, September 5, 2013

A wise hot beverage

Oh, the smell of coffee in the morning.
Nothing beats that. NOTHING.

As someone who grew up right next to the European capital of coffee, loving it is no brainer for me, really. In my world, coffee is the sweet smelling, dense concoction that comes bubbling out of a caffettiera or slowly flows out of a big-ass espresso machine. Well at times, if made by someone highly competent, I also love a cup of turkish, but that's the trickiest. 

At home, I still make it like I did back in Slovenia, in my great-grandmother's Zanzibar caffettiera that is more than 50 years old and looks all battered and bruised. When away from said legendary caffettiera, coffee still remains a ritual. It might be 3 minutes or hours, but you are supposed to stop whatever you're doing and you enjoy your coffee. 

SOTD: Amy Winehouse - Back to Black. Although I rarely take my coffee black.

The American way of doing coffee on the go took a lot of getting used to. Travel coffee mugs are still an unacceptable concept to me and whenever I go out for coffee (here or here, both are actually good), I sigh silently because I'd give anything for an ACTUAL CUP and I do sit down at the coffee shop and stop for a minute or two. Or 120. Also, it took me a while to perfect the way of tailoring the classic american watery yuckiness they try to pass for coffee to my VERY mediterranean personal preferences. 

Now I know my coffee, both at home and when I'm out and about the UES. 

I do, however, own a travel mug. But coffee has never touched it. I use it for tea. Because a morning dose of hot smooth caffeine is not enough and there's nothing better than sipping a hot beverage while going through emails and experiment plans for the day.

This little thing surprised me today*:

  *I know, I know, you can hardly read the quote. Blame the crappy camera phone and the fact that I STILL haven't bothered with buying an actual camera. 


The quote actually reads: 
"Live for something higher, bigger and better than you."

Well, let's break it down:
  • Higher I can do, especially in these babies (arrived today - and I am a woman in love). Or in these (dream, dream, dream, dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaammmm).
  • Bigger I will definitely do if I contnue living off of crunchy french toast and almond - sea salt chocolate. 
  • Better than me?


Modified just slightly from here.


Stay wise.
Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment