Wednesday, June 19, 2013

First day

Today was a beautiful day.
Perfect weather, perfect mood.
After a VERY good night's sleep, I jumped right at work.

Errand #1: Thorough repack of luggage. 
It needed serious reorganization. Now the big suitcase contains all the stuff that I won't need until the move into my apartment. Thus, I was able to put it in hostel storage, so it stays out of the way and there's no risk for my cool coffee mug to get chipped.
The small one is now filled with a couple of outfits, toiletries etc. that I need on a daily basis and is stored neatly in my locker in the hostel room. Again, out of the way. 

I've lived in clutter for the past 6 months, so pardon the neat freakery, it's just that it feels SO GOOD to be organized. 

Errand #2: Secure the Delta voucher online.
Our transatlantic flight was awesome and we had the best flight attendant ever. But there was a glitch in the entertainment system that they were not able to fix in flight. I had plenty of backup (kindle, music, laptop), so was not really bummed by the lack of freshest movies. But KLM felt so bad that they offered us 50 $ Delta vouchers. YAY!

Errand #3: Breakfast. 
I figured an awesome doughnut + iced coffee would do the trick for my first NY breakfast. Enter, Doughnut Plant on 23rd street (right by the entrance of the Chelsea Hotel). I had the AMAZING coconut lime yeast doughnut. Fresh, summery and oh so good. 


Errand #4: Purchase money orders.
The central USPS office is half a block uptown, so I figured I should just buy the goddamn money orders for rent and security deposits. So. I walk in, sort the thing easy and then swipe my Visa DEBIT card. No worky. Turns out, this goddam card is recognised as a credit, not debit card. It says DEBIT on the card, but the machine at the Post office read credit and didn't want to accept it. Again, I felt the oh-so-familiar panic. NOT AGAIN!!!
The very nice lady advised me to go check with a bank if I could get cash from my card and come back to her to pay for the money order in cash. Off I went. Bank no. 1 does not do cash advances. But the teller lady was nice enough to refer me to bank no. 2, which does. And did. To top off my luck, bank no. 2 was right next to bank no. 1 and both of them were just a block from USPS. 
Let me re-explain the whole thing. No wire transfer of money for my apartment. Money orders. Jules thought: buy money order, pay with debit, bring money order to housing office, sign lease, get keys.   No can do. Jules does: go to bank, withdraw cash, buy money order, pay with cash, bring money order to housing office yada yada yada.  
AFTER ALL OF THAT I DESPERATELY NEEDED A DRINK. And it was only 1 PM.



SOTD: JK Soul - Get over it.


Errand #5: Venture into K-mart to get an air bed.
There's a K-mart two blocks from my hostel, so I figured I would just buy a freaking air bed here so I don't end up sleeping on the floor when I move into the apartment on Friday. I absolutely intend to get a proper bed as soon as I get the keys to the place, but there's no way it will be delivered in time for my first night there. Enter, air mattress.

Errand #5: Phone.
Because who doesn't want to pay 60 $ plus tax to get unlimited texts and call and data  + unlimited calls to foreign LANDLINES, but not cell phones. Right? :)

Errand #6: Grom.
The best ice cream on Earth is present in NYC, which makes me a very happy girl. Downing a cup of albicocca and lampone sorbetto while lounging on the grass in Central park is quite a nice way enjoy the new place while still keeping in touch with the old one. 

Jet lag is creeping up on me and I guess it's time to go to bed. 
Good night,
Jules

P.S. Don't you dare comment on the fact that I regard a doughnut-based beakfast and ice cream in the Park as errands. They are of vital importance ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment