Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sem doma!**


I moved into my apartment on Friday morning. A beautiful studio on the 5th floor of a mid rise building on the Upper East Side that’s way bigger than expected. 


SOTD: Billy Joel - Uptown Girl. I'm no Upper East Side princess, but I guess I do live Uptown :)

After wrestling myself into the building, I enlisted the help of a cute neighbor because the locks work wrong on this side of the Atlantic and thus I had huge trouble letting myself into the place. Luckily, S. helped and before I knew it, I was home*. 

I took a really good look at the place and  decided it needed a good scrubbing before I even start unpacking. So I found the nearest Duane Reade and bought a bunch of cleaning supplies plus some other basics. Then, I stopped at the grocery store across the street and got some fruit, sushi for lunch and a dozen white roses to celebrate the occasion.  

Back home, I lit a scented candle and enjoyed my sushi picnic feeling pretty good about myself. The afternoon was spent cleaning and organizing clothes, followed by a few more shopping trips. I collapsed onto my airbed around midnight. Tired, but way happy.

Saturday morning was even greater. After a surprisingly comfortable sleep, I made myself my first coffee in my bisnona’s caffettiera and had poptarts for breakfast while reading a book. Weirdly, although the apartment is still completely unfurnished, it really feels like home. I just love the sky light and the huge windows and the tiny kitchen nook and… Ohh…

The rest of the day was spent at Ikea. The joys…
But more on the Ikea shopping trip and how to furnish a studio later on.

Jules

P.S. I don't have an internet connection yet, so this (and supposedly the next few) post(s) are brought to you by Starbucks on the corner of 75th and 1st. Cheers to that. But I'm working on that internet thingie. I'm not that big a fan of Starbucks. 

* By now, I know how to operate the locks and don’t need any more help getting in.
** Superintensive course in the slovenian language: "sem doma" means "I'm home". And boy, home I am!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment