Thursday, June 13, 2013

IS IT TIME TO FREAK OUT YET?

These past days have been tough.
There's been major anticipation (read: nervousness/worrying/desperation) in the housing department.
There's been major panic in the logistics department.
There's been A LOT of errands to run, paperwork to sort.
There's been a fun trip to the dentist. And I really mean fun. My dentist is a really cool guy.
There's been this chocking feeling of loneliness. 

I'm surrounded by awesome friends and family, yet I've never felt so alone in my whole life. 
The most absurd thing is, right now I'm not worried about the big things, like how am I going to perform at work or how am I going to survive on my salary. Oh no, no, no. 

My neurotic self is obsessing over totally different things. And the funniest part is, the rational bit of my brain knows EXACTLY what is going to happen and how it will all be managed (it will be awesome, because that's how we roll, trust me!). It just KNOWS that the moment I buckle up in that seat on that plane, 90 % of this nonsense will be over. There won't be a way back, no time for substantial rethinking or redoing. Freaking out will be totally useless. What will be will be. 



SOTD: Sly and the Family stone - Que sera sera. Just as a reminder.

Thing is, after a way too long wait, I got news that I was assigned an awesome studio apartment that I will somehow be able to afford without starving to death. YAY institute-subsidized housing in Manhattan!!!!!!

Lucky me, right? No sketchy real-estate brokers, no rip-off fees, no weird-ass roommates, no commute from the back-arse of nowhere. Perfect, right? Right? Not so fast, my dears...

I need to pay for the first month's rent and for my security deposit. Standard. What is not that standard is, I cannot wire the money from my existing bank account. They only accept cheques (which do not exist anymore in more or less all of Europe) or money orders (which I cannot purchase in my home country). Needless to say, today I fell to pieces because of that. You see, there is an apartment. There is money for said apartment. There just ISN'T a way to connect the two. Jeesh. America basically invented cash-free methods of payment and the internet, but still, in 2013, I will be using a medieval means of transferring funds. People at my bank all but laughed at me when I asked them about my options. Cheques? Are you kidding me?

Oh, well. 

Lucky for me, my mum was there, she sat me down, fed me lunch and talked me out of the meltdown. She helped get my shit together, so I fired up Google and got to work. Thank god I found a solution. Which will include multiple trips to the US Postal Service and an outrageous abuse of my present debit card plus a hefty commission. BUT it will get me the keys to my own slice of Manhattan!!! 

Win!

The rest of the day was spent shopping for the farewell party and a bit of packing. Which is another freakout-inducing activity, but I guess you ran out of freakout tolerance for today. Oh, and the apartment is unfurnished. God bless IKEA. 


No comments:

Post a Comment