Monday, June 3, 2013

The bare essentials

Girly. And pretty much on the go all the time. 
Ergo, there's a substantial need for me to carry a few "essentials" with me. Like a survival kit or something. And of course, as all girly girls will understand this, said survival kit needs to be neatly stashed in a chic little bag. 



Care to take a peek in my chic little survival kit bag? Well, you are welcome, my darlings.

1) The chic little bag: Marc by Marc Jacobs Pretty mini (2012).
It's the perfect compact size and shape to hold A LOT of stuff and still fit into the vast majority of my handbags. Love the nautical stripes with that unexpected touch of hot pink. And love the softly padded but sturdy material and giant zipper. Needless to say, it's been a favourite for the past year with no intention of changing that.

2) Perfect touchup: L'Oreal LUMI Magique concealer/highlighter.
Basically, this baby is the poor woman's reply to the cult YSL Touche Eclat and in my opinion, works just as well. I carry this one with me for a quick touchup during the day, especially around the nose, on top of my upper lip and in the inner corners of my eyes. It instantly wipes off signs of tiredness.

3) Lippy, part one: Lipstick/Gloss of the day.
As I grew older, I switched up my daily makeup routine from strong eye-neutral lip to the simpler and user-friendlier neutral eye-stroner lip combo. It's quicker, makes more of a statement and is (in my opinion) more elegant. I wear a lot of red lipstick, but there's also pinks, wines, nudes etc. in my collection. Lipgloss is present, but is not used very often. Today, I'm wearing the Deborah Shine creator lipstick in "16", which is a pretty shimmery wine colour. What I love about these lipsticks is that they have a very sheer finish, so they never look overdone, and are super balmy, so they never feel dry or harsh on the lip.

4) Lippy, part two: The Ever-present red.
Regardless of 3), I always carry a red lipstick with me. This particular one is Guerlain's Kiss Kiss in Sexy Tango (sometimes it gets switched up with Chanel Rouge Coco in Gabrielle). Sexy Tango a darker, very warm opaque red that's perfect for both day and night, whereas Gabrielle is way cheerier and brighter. Since the former is an elegant and not in-your-face red, it's super wearable for work, too (not that I would shy away from wearing Gabrielle to work). Although the shade is discontinued, I'm sure I'll go back to Guerlain for a new warm red once this one is finished - which will, sadly, be soon, as it's almost gone.

5) Germ-off: Hand sanitizer.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a germophobic neat freak or anything, but I do like having clean hands. Sometimes, when there's no sink-soap-water combo available, all I can do is wipe my hands with a wet tissue and then get rid of the sticky feeling by lathering on some of this sanitizer, which leaves my hands feeling clean, pretty much like they've just had a close encounter with soap and water.

6) Softy: L'Occitane Pivoine Flora hand cream.
Peony is one of my favourite scents. This travel-sized gel-like hand cream smells delicious and leaves the baby-thin skin on my hands soft and not at all sticky/greasy.

7) BalmyBurt's Bees Hand Salve (tiny sample tin).
Cute packaging, waxy supermoisturizing balm for any sort of dryness and roughness of the skin. Lasts forever and is especially useful in winter and around the nails.

8) First aid, part one: Badass plasters (aka band-aids) from Urban Outfitters' "What happened" and "Shit show" collections.
Since Clumsy moron is my middle name, I could not possibly survive without a micro first aid kit with me at all times. "Don't ask", "Ninja fight" and "That wall came out of nowhere" are among my favourites.

9) The fun intruder: VERY girly guitar pick.
I don't play the guitar. At all. Never even wanted to. But this guitar pick has sentimental value. AND IT'S PINK! 'Nuff said.

10) First aid, part two: Mini pharmacy - ibuprofen pills and paracetamol+vitamin C granules.
Don't really need to further elaborate on this one.

11) Scribblings: Notebook and Eppendorf pipette-shaped pen.
I know we live in the era of tablets, smartphones, Evernote and all other sorts of backup brain imaginable, sometimes good old-fashioned piece of paper and pen just about save the day. Or provide instant entertainment for your friend's four-year-old child while you desperately want to have an adult conversation with said friend.  Of course, I wouldn't be me if there weren't something nerdy in there, hence the labland favourite pen, shaped like a pipette. It's just awesome.

12) Lippy, part three: Lip balm.
Who doesn't hate cracked or dry lips?!?

13) Bad hair day: Hair ties.
Suck it, wild mane + burja wind!

14) Refresh: Sephora compact deodorant.
Hot days, stressful days, angry days or surprise sleepovers. We got you covered.

15) TicTacs. Obviously

Not pictured, not remarkable, just as essential: compact mirror (really unremarkable), 2-3 individually packaged wet wipes, 2-3 tampons, mini nail file.

Yepp, I carry A LOT of stuff with me. But I also make sure everything is put to use well and often.

Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment